Saturday, February 12, 2011

Geographical eats

There's a new(ish) stall at the food court that sells laksa. All sorts of laksa, actually, from around the region: Singapore laksa (of course), Penang laksa, Johor laksa, Kelantan laksa, Sarawak laksa and Myanmar laksa.

Other than Penang laksa, which is popular enough, I'd never even heard of the others. Though I was well educated -- and well fed -- on Sarawak laksa by a Sarawak-born wife of an editor I used to work with. I didn't even know that the Malaysian states all had their own varieties of laksa. I will have to go back and eat my way through the archipelago.

Out of solidarity for Aung San Suu Kyi, I ordered the Myanmar laksa. It was prepared and served by a cook from China. Only in Singapore.

The Myanmar laksa had a broth that was almost scary in its livid yellowness. It was creamy with coconut milk, cut by the tang of freshly squeezed lime on top. No picture. Am not food blogger enough to take pix of things before I put them in my mouth. Just take my word that it was yummy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a brave food court person indeed to take on this concept (nice one). These state laksas are specalties of specialties, the kind people drive miles and endure long queues for, and dream about when overseas. Hello from Canberra, where there are lots of politicians and no real laksa. :)
ES

The Cat's Whiskers said...

I didn't know there are different national laksas too.

Thank you for not posting a photo (drool).