Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Mid-life crisis

You know you're on the wrong side of 40 when *getting off the couch* results in a sprained back muscle.

I honestly don't know how I did it. I was lying on the chaise longue and getting out of it has always meant scooting your bum to the edge before you could swing your legs on the floor and haul yourself up. I was doing that but my feet were not solidly grounded on the floor because there were two dogs under my legs when I leaned forward and that did it. I already have a bad back, what I did just aggravated it.

I didn't realise how bad it was. Well, there was a momentary flash of pain that made me want to spit out the coffee I just swallowed. But after that, I didn't feel anything. I could even walk the two dogs and bend down and pick Queeni up out of the neighbour mak cik's way when she was sweeping the corridor when we went past.

Never underestimate adrenaline until it wears off. One hour later, I was immobile in the shower. It took me 20 minutes to get my pants on.

The doctor proclaimed it to be a bad sprain which would take a week to heal. But he only gave me 3 days' MC. What, doctors think that there are only 3 days in a week?

Now for part 2 of the sorry story. Doc also gave me muscle relaxants and heavy duty painkillers that had to be taken with an antacid. I took them on a full stomach but still, the medication churned my stomach so much that I spent all night and most of this morning puking.

Moral of the story: Never ever get off your couch. Stay on it. Wallow. Getting off the couch results in Bad Things.

4 comments:

H. said...

Ouch!! Are you better now? The key to not getting these kind of injuries is doing everything slooooowly, no fast jerking movements or anything. I sprained my back once and it sucked bad. I nearly sprained it again yesterday when I went for the jujitsu taster session, but it was fun!!! :P

Unknown said...

Getting slightly better, thanks. Spraining your back in an extreme sport (anything that requires fast movement is extreme to me) is one thing, but whoever heard of someone throwing out his/her back by scooting off the couch? Only me.

eslow said...

Hello, O sick one. i am with you in spirit. Woke up with flu this morning. It's the change in weather I think. Carefully trying not to mention mid-life stuff seeing as I've long past mine.

MGW said...

You have my abject sympathy -- Celebrex works wonders for my bad back -- and no side effects for me. Get well quickly -- and be careful! Milly