Thursday, February 28, 2008

You are beautiful, no matter what they say

I noticed him as I left the concourse of the train station. He was the only person standing still in a sea of moving people. He was eyeing people as they walked past, and when I got on the the escalator, he fell into step behind me. Uh oh, here it comes, I thought.

He was a salesman. And he was flogging meal supplements, the type that people take to lose weight.

"So are you saying I need to lose weight?"

"It's not a question of losing weight, it's a question of becoming healthy."

So he was diplomatic too.

And he talked and he talked as we stood at the bus stop, going on about how he doesn't just sell weight-loss products, he
keeps in touch with his clients to make sure that they maintain a healthy programme. And that there's a group of them called "From Aunties to Beauties".


Now I was getting truly pissed off. Not only is he "size-ist" but "age-ist". What, women over a certain size and a certain age are not beautiful?

I was so glad that my bus came and I could prise myself off him.

Why is it I can't shut salespeople up midstream?

2 comments:

H. said...

I hate salesmen too!! But I guess the only reason I listen to them is because I feel sorry for how shitty their job is...

Unknown said...

Ah, but from an economist's viewpoint, you should shut them the minute you already know you won't buy anything. So he can go on to the next cold call -- where he may just make something. And not waste two man hours -- yours and his -- by further talking to you. Makes sense, right?