Friday, September 28, 2012

Now that I'm home (Spain #6)

... I can finish the potboiler that I started reading on the flight back. I had wandered into a bookshop called Free Time. Everything in it was in Spanish, of course. But I found one gem in English -- The Gaudi Key. It's the Barcelona version of The Da Vinci Code.

A religious brotherhood has an artefact that they must protect, and Gaudi, the architect of Sagrada Familia and all those Modernisme buildings, hides it but leaves a code of where he's hidden in his architectural work.

Now, his apprentice's granddaughter must crack the code. The romp takes you through an intimate look at his buildings in a mix of fact and fiction. The book would not have made any sense to me before I went Barcelona. Now that I've been, I need to go back and check out more closely all the knobbly bits in the wavy buildings that the book's mentioned.

It's doing a better job than the tourist guide stuff.

No comments: