Sunday, November 16, 2008

Relatively speaking

It's a small world as they say, and on top of that, Singapore is a small country. Everybody knows everybody else, or at least knows of everybody else.

But never in my wildest dreams did I think that a friend of mine would turn out to be a distant relative.

I have known R since junior college and she also went on to the same university as I did. She now lives in London and we spent many happy hours together when L and I holidayed in London in August/September.

We had talked about our families and she had remarked that her mother's maiden surname is the same as L's, and that her name was remarkably similar to L's father's name. We never really thought much about it until this week, she found out from a conversation with her mother that her mother and my father-in-law are cousins.

Which makes her and L cousins first removed, I think. Is that how you count "removed" cousins?
And her furkids -- two lovely Maine Coons and an independent-spirited Bengal whom I fell instantly in love with when I finally was able to meet them a few months ago -- and mine would be cousins second removed. Queeni grew up with a kitten and so has cat-like habits and loves cats. Now, she's actually related to cats!

Hi Cuz! *waves*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Coz (waves back!),

I am still reeling ... disoriented from the revelation. Like it's one of the most amazing things to have happened to me in a long while.

And to think I went on holiday with friends ... who turn out to be relatives. What a cosmic joke!

I keep asking L questions about the relatives just to make sure that this really is happening and that I haven't got it wrong.

In terms of whether we're first or second cousins, I'm still flummoxed too. I've come across this site which is supposed to explain it all ... maybe L (who claims to be mathematical!!!) will be able to work it out:

http://www.dumville.org/trees/cousins_tre.html

It all boils down to whether we have two of the same grandparents (first cousin) or same great-grandparents (second cousin). I suspect it is the latter.

xxx

Anonymous said...

OMG is that who I think it is?? Hahaha. My parents are from Indonesia so we'll probably stay just friends :)