Saturday, October 07, 2006

Full moon madness

Now that we have the poo situation under control, Rupert has backslided on the pee bit. I walked him about an hour before Les got up and we fed the dogs together. So I figured he didn't need to go. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Of course he did. Even if he hadn't had any water. A puppy can make pee out of thin air.

And so he went all over the floor. This was my fault. I should have known better than to disregard the always take the puppy out immediately after meals mantra. So I took him out while Les mopped up. He didn't go. I guess there was nothing left after the giant puddle. But he obligingly did a little (solid) nugget poop since he was out. Such a good boy, I thought.

Then we came back upstairs and less than five minutes, he turned air into pee again and went on the floor. Again. Sigh.

Maybe it's the full moon that's driving him wonky.

And this is a clever stitch to the Mid-Autumn Festival. What, you think I only blog about puppy waste products?

It's the full moon Mid-Autumn Festival tonight but you can't even see the moon -- we're blanketed by haze from the Indonesian forest fires. Still, judging from the candle wax and the spent sparklers on the playground downstairs, some kids must've been out with their lanterns, determined to make a go out of it.


I'd rather stay indoors and tuck into mooncakes. I still like the traditional lotus paste and egg yolk version best despite the new-fangled flavours the hotels conjure up -- I've had chocolate (you can't go wrong with chocolate but even so, I say let the mooncakes be mooncakes), mango and green tea fillings. In Singapore, you get into the mooncake act even if you're a Belgian chef. Emanuel Stroobant's new Archangel deli offered snowskin mooncakes with East meets West fillings: red wine and pandan; truffle and chesnut; basill and white lotus; foie gras and red bean. The last combination intrigues me. Liver mooncakes! I guess maybe the dogs would like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooooh ... why do you always have to torture me with descriptions of the wonderful food in Singapore. London may be the capital of food in Europe, but as I keep telling people in this country, Singapore can out-London London where food is concerned. OK ... I've never eaten at Gordon Ramsay's or The Fat Duck at Bray, but who can afford to? Singapore food is good food that's affordable. And it seems as though it's getting innovative too, though I would draw the line at foie gras in Mooncakes. That's a chef who's trying too hard and who doesn't understand Eastern flavours. I myself like my mooncakes with the duck egg yolks, preferably 3 to 4 yolks.