Friday, October 13, 2006

Peace on earth


.. or as close as it can get. That is to say, as close as Queeni will get to Rupert. That boy will be the death of me. He's mostly OK in the day, particularly as L has been home the past days to take him out for frequent potty breaks. Then, the minute I get home, he loses everything. He goes on the floor -- repeatedly, within minutes, even if he's just had a potty break outside. All over the house, even though in the course of the day, he had gone quite nicely on the pee pads. I don't know what he's up to. That happened yesterday and today. L says it's me, the minute I come home, he gets thrown out of whack. So now it's my fault.

I've been working "normal" hours this week and next because I'm on course. It wasn't so difficult getting up at 7am because I'd be up to take Rupert out anyway. Only now, I can't go back to sleep for a few more hours and must start the day straightaway. The course starts at 10am -- which really is very reasonable -- but after years of working nights, I'm just not used to morning kickstarts. This morning, as soon as I sat down in the bus, went to sleep until it was my stop at the office. At lunch break, I went to the library to have a nap on one easy chairs in the reading corner. When I got home at 5.30pm (and that was an early release), I had to have a lie-down -- that was when L discovered (and cleaned up) Rupert's nefarious acts all over the house, which did not take place until I came home. Apparently, he is as good as gold when I'm not home and turns into Devil Dog when I am. Strangely, G is having the exact same problem with Rupert's litter-mate, Colin. Colin is an angel all day with C but becomes badly behaved when G comes home.

Just now, tired of cleaning up pee in the computer room, I unfolded the ex pen so that Rupert could step into the room with a two-foot square space but can't go into the rest of the room. HRH was on my lap as I typed at the desk. I swear she was smirking at him. Rupert got up on his hind legs but realised he couldn't get past the ex pen. So he turned around. And peed. He was on the pee pad but he had to squat and aim outside the pad. Another clean up job. Aargh.

And then now Rupert is lying on my lap as I write. I left him sleeping on the sofa but he woke up, dashed into the computer room in search of me, wanted up on my lap and now he's sound asleep and twitching away. How is this endearing snuggler the same devil who committed all the housetraining crimes a few hours ago?

1 comment:

Bev Sykes said...

They're so frustrating, sometimes, aren't they--and then, damn them, they look up at you with those huge, loving eyes and you forgive them everything.