Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The big picture


... behind the picture of two happy dogs in the previous post -- or how we actually got the two of them standing together in the same frame long enough to take a picture. It has everything to do with Mum cutting her birthday cake.

When I was young, a birthday cake automatically meant a chocolate cake -- the best flavour ever for a cake. And ice cream. But it's been a very, very long time since any family member had a chocolate cake. That happened when we started having dogs. They share in the family celebrations so the cake has to be dog-friendly. That was firmly implanted in my head during my birthday, oh, 10, 15 years ago. Why didn't I get my usual chocolate cake, I asked my Mum. Because the dog needs to eat it too, was her answer. And that's when I realised, my birthday be danged, that wasn't the main thing; it was the dog's dietary requirements.

Yes, the dogs also partake of steamboat during the family reunion dinner every Chinese New Year's eve. But I bet you knew that already.

No comments: