Friday, November 17, 2006

Caffeine fix


The coffee percolator broke -- the water reservoir leaked onto the hot plate and I'm not about to plug in a wet appliance -- so this is L's solution: drip the coffee into a pot and then keep it warm on a low gas flame on the stove-top. I just realised that I can't live without a percolator not because it brews the coffee but because it keeps it warm all day so the coffee remains hot whenever I want some. It has spoilt me, I can't drink cold coffee any more.

The broken percolator this time round wasn't such a panic-stricken affair. When you don't start the day till late afternoon, you can at least muse on the problem a while before coming up with the pot rig-up on the stove-top. The previous percolator shot-circuited at a time when I was working the 4.30am shift and I remember staggering around bleary-eyed because L was plugging it into every electrical outlet in the house and the percolator duly tripped out the electricity no matter where it was plugged. Going in to work at 4.30am without any coffee in your system meant that that was a very, very bad day at work.

Tomorrow, we're back to caffeine-induced normality. We bought a spanking new percolator today.

No comments: