Saturday, November 18, 2006

Flat bread

Ikea, of the flat-packed assemble-it-yourself furniture, have a capital new item in their small little Swedish food section: flat-packed assemble-it-yourself gingerbread houses. It's brilliant. They're baked, shaped gingerbread panels and all you need is some icing to hold them together to make your own gingerbread house. And maybe add some candy pieces to decorate and dust some icing sugar for a snow effect. I've never made a gingerbread house before, I thought it was too time-consuming plotting out house panels, measuring and cutting them to size before baking them. Now maybe I'll make one for Christmas.

The Ikea Christmas catalogue arrived today, along with news that their new branch store will open in December, in time for Christmas. I'm looking forward to it. The new store will be less than 10 minutes down the expressway from where I live, so no more one-hour cross-country trips with a taxi fare that could cost more than the cheap Ikea items in the shopping bag. This sounds a whole lot more attractive to me than 1.4 million square feet of retail space in the newly opened megamall -- which I still haven't been too and still haven't drummed up any interest in going.

No comments: