Thursday, August 24, 2006

All for me

It's not every day that traffic is diverted for me. Although in this case, it was under less salubrious circumstances.

I noticed as soon as I crossed the road to the bus stop that there had been an accident at the cross junction some 100 metres up the road. A car with its front smashed in on the driver's side was angled at the kerb -- it looked horribly like how Silver Surfer looked after our accident last November, down to the angle it was pushed to the side of the road after the collision. The other vehicle ended up worse -- a van flipped over onto its side. I don't know if anyone was hurt. If anyone was, must have been taken away. By then, it was just a policeman and a tow truck, trying to clear the road.

The policeman directed all traffic coming down the road to turn right at the junction because when the tow truck got into position to move the van, both vehicles were blocking all three lanes of the entire road so no one could drive straight across the junction.

That's when my bus appeared. The policeman waved it to turn right. The driver must have protested because I saw him leaning out of the window and having a talk with the policeman. If he had turned right and rejoined the road at a later stage, like going three sides round a square which was how the policeman directed all the traffic, he would miss the one bus stop 100 m down, where I was.

If I could see them from the bus stop, the bus driver could surely see me. Only one bus service stops at that bus stop, so clearly I was waiting for his bus. I saw the policeman turning to look down the road, at the bus stop and I waved back at him and pointed at the bus. That's when he shrugged, jogged over to the tow truck and got the driver to move off a bit so the bus could manoeuvre between the truck and van, and make its way down the road to the bus stop.

All for me.

And all this time, I again forgot to take pictures with the cellphone.

No comments: