Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Woman at leisure

I'm on leave from work this week, partly to clear my vacation days by Aug 31 (end of company's fiscal year, it's their policy to clear leave by then), and partly because L and I have a deal to take time off work at the end of August -- it's his birthday and our wedding anniversary.

This year, we're not going on vacation. We've need to replenish our coffers after renovating the new flat and getting stuff for it. So this year, we're just going to stay put and enjoy our new home.

Besides, I don't think I could fly long-haul without hand luggage, without moisturiser, lip balm and most importantly, without reading material. It may possibly now be the safest time to fly now that all the extra security measures are in place but it's probably also the most spartan way to travel. If the no hand luggage rules are here to say, as the airlines suggest they will, it could change travelling for pleasure as we've come to expect. Or even travelling on business. Imagine no laptops on board, and not being able to work for the hours you're stuck on the plane. (Or not being able to play Solitaire -- c'mon, how much work can a business traveller really do?)

The last time I was on leave was when I took two weeks' off for the move to the new flat. It was filled with heaps to do -- packing, getting moving logistics organised and it wasn't over even after the move; because then came the unpacking, settling in and getting all the little things to make the new place home. So everyday, there was something to do and it didn't feel like I was on leave at all -- I had to-do lists and errands to run, and was constantly on the go.

And I probably wore out a path to Ikea -- I had to keep going there repeatedly for this, that and the other that I never thought I'd get tired of their Swedish meatballs. I'm still not entirely done at Ikea yet. Sometime this week, I'll find the time to go back one last time (so help me god) for a couple more shelves that I need. The trouble is that Ikea is at the other end of the country from me. If I take the train, I need to take the North-East Line all the way down to the bottom, than switch to the East-West line and the whole trip takes more than an hour. I can get there much faster by taxi of course but the last time, the taxi fare to and from cost twice the cheap little item that I needed at Ikea.

Still, this time round, I get to do it more leisurely. I could probably spare the time for the long train ride.

Being on leave also gave me the time to do something I've always wanted: get off the bus at interesting places along the route instead of being forced to remain on the bus until it takes me to the office. I've always wanted to check out the cafes in the residential enclaves it pasts, maybe even take pictures of the funny signs that caught my eye from the bus window. And now, I can get off and explore.


I took a few pictures today, hopping off the bus and then waiting for the next one, only to hop off a few stops later. I'll post the interesting pix in due course. This one was taken along Yio Chu Kang Road. It is one of my favourite roads to ride along, and it makes the trip to work so much more pleasant. It is also why I prefer taking the bus to the train: I get to look at the old trees, lianas growing up their trunks and their branches meeting overhead in a green arc. I'm pretty sure nobody would be cutting down these trees anytime soon

No comments: