Monday, August 14, 2006

Overheard

At the Ikea cafeteria last week, a girl in the line behind me to her friend: I didn't bring my wallet, can you pay? Her friend does.

At the next table at Forum Galleria food court today: I forgot to withdraw money. Can I borrow some? Her friend fishes out a $10 note and off she goes to get her food.

Two little things that wouldn't have stuck in my head had they not happened almost back to back. I'm almost dumbstruck. Maybe when you're young, you always get help when you ask for it. Or maybe it never occurs to you that people may not always help. I don't know. Growing up alone and an only child made me self-reliant to an extent that I never get caught out without money. I always have an emergency $50 note tucked away somewhere. And if I have no money on me, I just don't eat till I get home.

Anyway, the two girls at the food court: One just got home from London and was complaining about the shopping. The High Street brands are at the most just S$30 cheaper than what they cost here, and she couldn't find any XS. This XL (in Singapore size, British size 16) hates her already.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

er ... I don't understand: are you saying that the woman who just returned from London was saying the prices in London are cheaper than Singapore's?

You must be joking!

I live for my visits to Singapore when I can visit Metro and stock up on shoes, and BATA stuff.