Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Spock


Today is the fifth year anniversary of Spock's passing. The Chinese mark death anniversaries but I don't really know what they do. Me, I just hold his collar in my hand, hug my little gangster dog in my heart, smile a little, cry quite a bit. Five years and it still cuts deep, the heartbreak you feel when you see your normally spunky Jack Russell still and weak from the tick fever that claimed him.

August is a bad month for me. It will be Schwarz's eighth year death anniversary in two weeks.

Run like the wind, my wild little boy. I miss you.

millywlly wrote this eulogy five years ago:

Spock --

Ambassadoggie par excellence
One pooch neighborhood alert system
Ear washer for old doggies
Lover to Miss Sadie
Snoop and beggar rolled into one small package
Leaper of tall tables in a single bound
Cherished friend
Adoring younger brother
Beloved son
Angel

Spock!

They do not go quietly, the dogs who've shared our lives.

4 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I understand the pain of anniversaries. It's so difficult to lose those animals that worm their way into our hearts. Have you read "Marley and Me"? I just finished it. Beautiful story of a man and his dog, though sad at the end. The author wrote a beautiful column after Marley died which you can read here:

http://marleyandme.com/

(Of course at the moment, it's probably not the sort of thing that you need to be reading!)

MGW said...

Oh! My heart is full of sadness. Spock is (was) so beautiful. Oh! Wolfie. Oh! Spock! And all our other beloved doggies. How we miss them. Spock, of course, was way too young to leave us. That hurt the most, I think. As wonderful as HRH and Fritzy and Gus are . . . they never completely fill the spaces left behind. My tears mingle with yours. M. (I never would have known I wrote that about Spock -- I felt it deeply when I reread it -- but something surreal must have entered my spirit when I wrote about our boy -- Milly or Schwartz - I don't think I'm that eloquent at heart).

MGW said...

You know, I just realized that Gus reminds me of Spock. I know the breeds are very different -- but Gus has that same body shape stuck on a Schnauzer -- and he's small like Spock. Gus does not look like HRH or Fritz or Wolf or Milly. He looks a lot like Spock. Maybe it's also the alertness that they have in comon - but the body types are similar (if Spock were covered in silver fur with fringe). And he seems to exude the same sense of humor of a silly Spock and the loyalty Spock showed to his canine companion. M.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry about this difficult time of year. Our furry babies live on in our hearts... .