Monday, August 21, 2006

Taxes and death

As sure as the above, the deduction plan to pay my income tax by a monthly Giro instalment arrived.

I don't get it. In early 2005, my monthly deduction was $55. It crept up to about $70 by the end of the year. Starting this October, it will go up to $107. I am paying twice what I paid in early 2005 but I sure as hell am not earning twice as much as I was then.

And on top of that, the tax rate after the first $10,000 has dropped (from 9% to 8.75%). So I don't know how that adds up. And should I even start counting on my fingers and toes, a little addendum at the bottom of the notice: "You have to pay this amount whether or not you have any objection."

And below that, in bold letters, a chirpy "Thank you for your contribution towards nation building!" (with the audacity of the exclamation mark!)

Am too grumpy to respond nicely, not even a semi-automatic "you're welcome"

No comments: