Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Hi ho, hi ho

It's back to work I go. I wonder why were the seven height-challenged gentlemen so happy about going to work? I like what I do, I now even like where I do it and the people I do it with (that can sound horribly wrong but we're talking about WORK for goodness sake) but I'm even happier to stay home and cocoon. Especially as I probably spend more waking hours at work than at home.

Going back to work after a two-week absence means you (OK, *I*) forget your passwords, forget all the F1 to F12 functions on a system as ancient as Coyote. I also momentarily forgot even what floor the office is on. I once famously went back to work in a low-rise building after more than a week in a high-rise hotel room, stepped into the lift and wondered why there were no buttons for the high floor I was used to pressing. That's how fast I snap out of the work mode and how slow I snap back into it.

Took the MRT to work from the newly-opened White Elephant Station. [For overseas readers, the station really is called Buangkok. When the line was built, the station was mothballed because the operator deemed that there weren't enough residents in the area to warrant the costs of opening up the station. There were a lot of protests from the residents which culminated in cardboard cut-outs of white elephants as a cheeky protest when an MP was visiting the area.]
Anyway, the station clearly isn't expecting much traffic -- whether of bono fide commuters or would-be terrorists. The Security Check counter which is now present in all the MRT stations is still swathed under layers of furniture shrink-wrap.

No comments: