Tuesday, September 12, 2006

9-11

Five years on, it's still very emotional. And I'm not even American.

The first anniversary of 9-11, I was in sleepy Maui. I'd just come out of a bookstore and there was a fire station down the road and the firefighters were lowering the flag and standing at attention to honour fallen comrades. Hawaii's part of the US, of course, but it's so different in spirit from the mainland, I didn't at first think there would be much to commemorate the anniversary. Nobody in the street actually paid much attention, only this tourist stopped (and took a photo), it was as if the Maui firefighters were in their own little world. But how wrong I was. That was when it hit me that it doesn't matter where you are, nobody forgets 9-11, its sheer magnitude reverberates worldwide. And today, we all remember.

http://www.ctlegalguide.com/SlideShow/caninetribute.htm

No comments: